Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top Ten: Holidays

   Now that it is between Christmas and the New year, I have decided to do my holiday post. And as much as I wanted to put my birthday on this list, I put my egotistical views aside and put up a proper list instead (aren't I great?).

   Without taking up too much time of your holiday family time:

Top Ten Holidays:


10 - Pi day - I'm a mathlete, I like math. I also like pie. These are hardly related, but on 3.14.xx every year, they combine for one day. That day, is amazing, if only to a small few. Thus it is recognized as a top ten list worthy holiday.

09 - Easter - This is one of the holidays where my family gets together (you'll notice that this is a trend for my favorite holidays). We have all of my cousins together for an Easter egg hunt, while the adults sit around and talk about childhood rivalries. I have seven uncles and aunts, so the stories are always very "informative".

08 - Bring Your Kid Into Work Day - When I becomes President of the United States (positive thinking for the win), I am going to make this a national holiday. My favorite days when I was a kid, was spending time with my dad at his work. I hated the driving time because he listened to sports talk radio, but at work I got to see a cool office building. He also set me up to play Worms World Party, that helped a lot. If you love Bring Your Kid Into Work Day, vote (write in) Geoffrey Nelson 2040!

07 - Memorial Day - This is more of an inside joke more than anything. My mom just bought new pans and she had been bragging about how wonderful they were. All week, all day and all throughout lunch she was bragging about how well-cooked dessert would be. "The pans made it so it cooks evenly, they don't stick, the pans aren't too hot..." etc. When dessert came, it was near impossible to chisel it out of the pans (but it was delicious). It was very memorable.

06 - April Fool's Day - I really don't need to explain this one do I? It's a holiday based on jokes, gags, and foolishness. Next...

05 - Groundhog Day - I love this holiday, because it's based around an animal. The movie with the same names just happens to be an excellent movie. I'm sure that those aren't entirely related at all...

04 - Veteran's Day - Finally, a holiday of sentiment. I am truly grateful to be able to live where I do live. I am more than willing to spend at least one day remembering the sacrifices of others to help make America the way it is today. Veterans, thank you for your service, your time, and your sacrifice!

03 - Thanksgiving - Another holiday where my family get together. This one is really high on the list because it involves a LOT of food. Need I say anymore?

02 - Christmas - I love Christmas. Getting presents is almost as fun as watching other people open your presents. One of the huge benefits of working 11 to 7 on the holidays (especially Christmas), is that you get to be the first person to wish them a Merry Christmas that year. That feeling is magical in and of itself. Many people probably expected Christmas to be number one. But people wh0o know me, also know that there is one holiday that I haven't gone over yet.

01 - Halloween - You get free candy. You get to dress up. You get to scare people. Boom, boom, boom! Halloween is the number one holiday for me when all is said and done.

Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment