Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top Ten: Things People Should Do, But Don't

Welcome to Top Ten Tuesdays!
Whenever I have an idea for a top ten, it will appear on Tuesday. My top tens won't ALWAYS be ten things, but I will try.
Also, to reduce the amount of reading on your part I will limit myself to five sentences each. There is obviously more that can be said about each topic, but I don't want you to spend hours listening to me, amazing though that would be.
Without further ado:

Top Ten: Things People Should Do, But Don't

10 - Drive the speed limit

This is coming from an ex-speeder, so I've been there before.
Don't do it.
If you do do it, don't get mad at other people for doing it.
If you plan your life so that you don't need to speed, and then don't speed, your driving and your life will be less stressful because of it. Less stress usually means happier (and in this case safer).

9 - Clean up

DISCLAIMER: If you are my parents or my wife, don't have a heart attack just yet.
People should clean up after themselves.
I know I'm a slob at home, but at least at home my slobbiness is organized. When I'm at work, surrounded by professionals, I expect that the workplace (especially the employee lounge) to be clean (especially if the trash barrels are on the way out of the employee lounge). A clean and organized environment is a less stressful environment, and a healthier environment.

8 - Learn to Drive

People need to learn to drive and control their vehicles.
Whenever the first snowfall happens, there are numerous accidents. People blame the weather, I blame four-wheel drive; honestly, if your entire plan while driving is to rely on FWD, then you shouldn't be driving. You need to understand your vehicle's capabilities, how it handles, and you need to learn what to do in an emergency situation (FWD doesn't save you from everything).
This is completely neglecting the crap drivers pull during non-winter months (which still should change too).

7 - Work

If you are at work, you are getting paid to work. You shouldn't sit around talking or texting on your phone; you should be working. If you have down time, or are on break, things are different, but in the middle of the busiest time of the night, you should be working.
Finally, if you are one of those people who goof off at work, don't get mad at other people for asking you to do your job.
You should be doing your job anyways, you should say thank you for not reporting me to the supervisor.

6 - Think better of others

There is too much distrust in the world today that is perpetuated by a constant train of distrust.
In order to illustrate my point, how do you feel if someone distrusts you? If I am misjudged negatively, I am more inclined to do less than if the opposite is true. I know that is a selfish attitude, but I have a (minor) inkling that I'm (probably) not the only selfish person in the world today (maybe).
Simply treat other people with respect, and they will give it back; you choose to either perpetuate a downward spiral, or an upward spiral.

5 - Respect

There is an increasingly obvious lack of respect in the world today.
The next generation is becoming more and more about "me" and less about "you".
I believe that this is because there is a difference between strict, and mean. I think that because people are afraid of being mean, they are not being strict.
Without being strict, the next generation isn't learning respect, responsibility or self-control.

4 - Think

If everyone thought more, the world would be 20% cooler than it is.
Think more about others, and the impact your life has (or can have) on them.
Think more about your problems, and how you can solve them, or prevent them. You can't expect other people to solve your problems for you.
Also, the education system could use a revamp...

3 - Say thank you

Saying thank you can make the difference in any one's day.
It encourages me to do more for you, if you take even a little time to acknowledge my work. If you are too busy to spare half a second to say thank you, then YOU are too busy in life.
Here is a video that links happiness to gratitude (in more than five sentences):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv6vTKD6lg

2 - Understand marriage

Marriage means you will love each other through the good and the bad. It doesn't say that you will love each other only when it is convenient.
People discover, post-marriage, the marriage isn't all good, and they want to get out of it. We need to teach people to think carefully before they marry someone, and not to take it lightly.
Broken families and broken homes lead to a broken world.

Finally, the number one spot on my list:

1 - Speak your mind

A lot of problems in the world stem from people being afraid to speak up.
When they are having difficulty, or if others are doing something wrong, they are afraid of being mocked and remain silent. People need to understand that if they feel something is wrong, they need to speak up.
There are many voices that aren't heard, snuffed out because of fear. How much brighter could the world be if those voices are finally heard?

==xx==

That's all I have for you. Do you agree, disagree? Like, dislike?
This is my first Top Ten, I look forwards to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment