Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten: Pokémon (as of Gen VI)

    I just finished Pokémon Y as a Dark-type gym leader. I was super excited, until I actually beat the game. Starting the game with no foreknowledge and limiting myself to the Dark type, while fun, didn't create an excellent sense of exploration of the new fairy types and competitive battles. That's besides the point.

   I restarted the game this time playing for fun (however, I will rebuild this team and character again as I absolutely loved it. I just want to explore a little too). I know what to do, what not to do, and I know where my choices are, and I'm going to make different choices than last time. This will give me a chance to beat the game with my favorite Pokémon (outside the Dark type). This brings me to my Top Ten Today.


   There will ALWAYS be disputes of which Pokémon are the best and greatest, and each person's view is very different. Today I throw my ideas out there.

   Coming up with a list of my favorite Pokémon was easy.
   Narrowing it down to ten was not.

   For your enjoyment and for my ease of mind (to help me select Pokémon and to make sure the list isn't entirely unbalanced), I created a few rules for today's Top Ten. Here they are:

1) For each type, I picked my favorite Pokémon. My favorite ten Pokémon come from that list of 17 (Fairy is not included as I have not played with any yet).

2) I could only pick one starter. Though I only had a few favorite starter Pokémon, I had to limit myself to one for my top ten list.

3) I could only pick one legendary Pokémon. I defined legendary Pokémon as a Pokémon that there was only one of. Examples include: Lapras, Zapdos, Castform etc.

4) Pokémon I haven't used yet, if they make it onto the list (even though it isn't said, the list is implied to be about Pokémon I have used), are last. To be fair, I haven't finished Pokémon Black version yet so I haven't gotten to use a few Pokémon that I have plans for.

   Now that that is out of the way, here are the Pokémon that didn't make my top ten.
(FIRE) Ninetales
(ELEC) Zebstrika
(ROCK) Aggron
(FIGT) Pancham
(ICE.) Weavile
(WATR) Lapras
(GRAS) Sceptile
(FAIR) Sylveon
(Sylveon is both on and not on this list. You'll find out later.)
   If you think these Pokémon are great, wait until you see the rest of my list!

My Top Ten Pokémon (as of Gen VI)


10 - #609 - (GHST)
File:609Chandelure.png
Chandelure (Luring Pokémon): The spirits burned up in its ominous flame lose their way and wander this world forever.


==xx==


   When I first played Gen I, I fell in love with Ghost-type Pokémon (and Ground). Unfortunately, I was never able to evolve Haunter into Gengar (which I later learned to enjoy, because Haunter is higher on my list than Gengar), so I have been looking for a new favorite Ghost Pokémon ever since.
   Gen III got me hooked on Banette and Sableye (Dark/Ghost type combination WAS my favorite until Fairy was introduced and ruined the "nothing is super-effective against it" selling point), and finally Gen V introduced Chandelure. I haven't gotten a chance to use Chandelure yet, but the design is amazing and the type combination is cool. The concept of this Pokémon intrigues me greatly and so it deserves a spot on my list.

==xx==

09 - #635 - (DRAG)
File:635Hydreigon.png
Hydreigon (Brutal Pokémon): It responds to movement by attacking. This scary, three-headed Pokémon devours everything in its path!


==xx==


   I have never ever, ever been a fan of Dragon-type Pokémon. The Dragonite ruined that image for me for a long time. Once I played Gen III, and Dragons were cooler, I started paying attention to Salamence. When I first saw Hydreigon, I fell in love. I have been unable to use one yet, but I will as soon as I restart my Pokémon Black campaign.

==xx==
 
08 - #133 - (NORM)
Eevee
Eevee (Evolution Pokémon): Thanks to its unstable genetic makeup, this special Pokémon conceals many different possible evolutions.

 

==xx==

   Let's be honest, everyone loves Eevee. Now, let's be really honest, nobody loves Eevee; they love the potential Eevee has. Eevee holds a special place in my heart, and has since the beginning of Pokémon, because of the various evolutions it holds.
   My first (and so far only) time through Platinum was with an all Eeveelution team named after ponies (durn right!). One other thing that all of Eeveelutions has going for it, that many other of my favorite
Pokémon have going for them, is it's rather lupine design (I can only pray for a Rockeon, Scuteon, Eeveon, Draceon, Steeleon, Puncheon, Creepeon, Poiseon, and Flyingeon; have fun trying to guess which name is which type).

==xx==

07 - #292 - (BUG.)
Shedinja
Shedinja (Shed Pokémon): A most peculiar Pokémon that somehow appears in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.


==xx==

   Do you like creepy Pokémon (if you haven't noticed, I like dark/creepy/cool Pokémon)? That means that Bug Pokémon are at a huge disadvantage when fighting for my love. Shedinja remedied that by being completely awesome and amazing (being immune to almost 70% of attacks helps a lot). The method of obtaining Shedinja is obscure, the Pokédex entry is creepy, and using it in battle just frustrates more opponents than I can count. If you pull out a Shedinja towards the end of a battle, a majority of the time you will win that battle.

==xx==

06 - #169 - (POIS)
Crobat
Crobat (Bat Pokémon): Having four wings allows it to fly more quickly and quietly so it can sneak up on prey without its noticing.


==xx==

   If you have never ever fought against a Zubat andor a Golbat then I don't know whether to call you lucky, or unfortunate. Crobat is a real upgrade to the Zubat family. It is one of the fastest Pokémon of it's time, and it is very hard difficult to defeat. It has a very good attack stat, and coupled with it's incredible speed, it has a very good annoyer-type moves, and it doesn't flinch. Crobat was my goto Pokémon as of Gen III.

==xx==


05 - #717 - (FLYI)
Yveltal
Yveltal (Destruction Pokémon): When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more.


==xx==

   I know what you all are thinking, Yveltal is on the list only because I just beat
Pokémon Y. That probably influenced it a bit, but that's not the reason. I was SO excited when this guy turned out to be Dark/Flying, I almost peed myself. I was doing a base Dark team, and the legendary is Dark type. Whodathunk?
   Now, as for it's power, amazing; that goes without saying. But the story behind  it is amazing as well. At first I was confused as to it's move Oblivion Wing. I had no idea what it was doing in it's move set, until I realized that it represents the Yveltal absorbing the life energy etc. VERY COOL.
   The design of Yveltal is amazing as well. It reminds me of a combination of one of my old favorites (Spearow/Fearow) and one of my new favorites (Absol) with a new paint job. This
Pokémon is simply a beast that isn't to be trifled with. Unless, of course, you are 'The One'.

==xx==

04 - #625 - (STEL)
Bisharp
Bisharp (Sword Blade Pokémon): Bisharp pursues prey in the company of a large group of Pawniard. Then Bisharp finishes off the prey.


==xx==

   Anyone who has ever taken karate knows what it is like to have your body become a weapon. Bisharp takes this phrase literally. When I heard that I could trade my (terrible) Jigglypuff for a new slot in the Pokédex, I said "Of course!" When I saw what Bisharp looked like, I said "I like him." When I saw that Bisharp was Dark/Steel (and I needed some steel-type moves at the time), I said "Instant addition to the team." Bisharp did not disappoint.
   Bisharp is an amazingly strong
Pokémon if you put him up against the right opponent. He learns very powerful moves, and is backed by a great physical build. As long as your opponent is physical based, Bisharp would love to dice them to pieces.
   The fact that Bisharp looks like a ninja-torpedo-sword is cool to me. I normally dislike humanized
Pokémon (Machop, Sawk, Throh I'm looking at you!), but Bisharp was fairly different. Sure it was bipedal and had two arms, but... it... it was a weapon. It was like a sword (and an axe) that fights for you. I couldn't resist.
   This also made me laugh when I was trying to interact with it in Pokémon-Amie. My Bisharp's sweet spot was in the middle of the blades of his razor spine. I had to be very precise when I was giving him a belly rub.

==xx==
 
03 - #260 - (GRND)
Swampert
Swampert (Mud Fish Pokémon): DATA UNKNOWN [Data entry is from
Pokémon Ruby] Swampert is very strong. It has enough power to easily drag a boulder weighing more than a ton. This Pokémon also has powerful vision that lets it see even in murky water.

==xx==

   Swampert was everything I wanted in a Pokémon when I played Pokémon Ruby. It was Water (one of my favorite type because it was very needed Dive, Waterfall, Surf ugh), AND Ground (always a favorite). It was super-effective against Electric, and it just had monstrous stats. I even ran through Ruby in about 16 hours with a single Swampert (and five pick uppers). It knew Surf, Brick Break, Earthquake, and Ice Beam.
   Besides the great adaptability this Pokémon has, Swampert looks amazing. It's like Godzilla and the Cloverfield monster had a baby, and painted it pretty. He learns ground-type moves early enough to be effective against Roxanne, and just owns almost every Pokémon that crosses it's path.
   It's best stat is it's HP, but that doesn't mean that any of the other stats are terrible, except for it's speed. As the saying goes, it doesn't start a fight, but it certainly ends it. If you are playing Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald and you have no idea what your starter should be, Mudkip is your kind of
Pokémon.

==xx==


02 - #686 - (PSYC)
Inkay
Inkay (Revolving Pokémon): It flashes the light-emitting spots on its body, which drains its opponent's will to fight. It takes the opportunity to scuttle away and hide.


==xx==

   Inkay (and yes, I mean Inkay, not Malamar) is a rather different Pokémon than many of the others on my top ten list, but it's this difference that also helps it hold second place in my top ten list. Inkay is amazing. Enough said right there. Get one. However, that doesn't do him justice, so I will spew out more description of his awesomeness.
   Mine was (and will be again once I replay it) called Squink. It's a cute little floating squid. It's Dark/Psychic and... wait... I used the word cute? Blegh! Yes, Inkay is one of the very, very, very, very, very few
Pokémon I will ever refer to as cute or adorable (and most of them I do so as a joke, Shedinja for example is adorable). Why? Because he is also very, very, very, very, very powerful. If you aren't convinced yet, you haven't faced one yet (because I'm certainly not helping change your mind).
   Let me spell it out for you. When I was playing and acquiring my Dark team in
Pokémon Y, I came across a level 15 Inkay, with my level 35 Frogadier. That's clearly going to end in my favor, right? Wrong. The level 15 Inkay took me down to size... more than once. Are you convinced yet?
   The thing that is amazing about Inkay, is that it is so innocent looking, but it's power lies in one really creative move: Foul Play. The thing with Foul Play, is that it is a power 95 dark-type move that uses the "target"s attack stat rather than your own. That means, while both Inkay's defenses are great, and it's attack is lackluster, Foul Play is still very able to take down another
Pokémon.
   Now, I choose Inkay, because I like how it looks and attacks over Malamar. It floats around as Inkay, and when it uses certain moves it turns upside down  and uses them. It's fighting style is so adorable that your opponent will be saying, "is this guy serious?" as his
Pokémon slowly falls to the ground unwilling to fight.
   This was is all nothing compared to my all-time favorite
Pokémon. It has been so since it's release.

==xx==
 
01 - #359 - (DARK)
Absol
and
File:359Absol-Mega.png
Absol (Disaster Pokémon): It appears when it senses an impending natural disaster. As a result, it was mistaken as a doom bringer.


==xx==

   When I first played Gen I, my favorite Pokémon was Eevee. Eevee could fill any role on my team and it was cute (another one of those very few Pokémon). That quickly changed when my 500 dollar Magikarp evolved into Gyarados (which was vastly OP in those days, but not quite as OP as every Psychic). That changed back to Umbreon once Gen II was released, when I found out what an absolute tank it was (I mean, really, it took three Earthquakes to the face before it fainted and in later levels it learns moonlight, rest etc...). That changed quickly back to Gyarados when I caught the Red Gyarados.
   Upon replaying those Generations I realize that Gyarados was less OP in Gen II and my favorite went back to Umbreon and Ninetales and (the best of both worlds) Houndoom. What do you notice about this trend? All of my favorite (not broken
Pokémon) are lupine Pokémon.
   It's true. I love Eevee, Growlithe, Ninetales, Lucario, Mightyena... etc. When I first laid eyes on Absol, I knew I had to catch it. It was one of the first
Pokémon I encountered in route 120. I attacked it once and it fainted. I was disappointed, but knew that I was going to have it. The next Pokémon I encountered, was another Absol. Again it fainted, and then my search continued for days. I didn't know Absol was a rare Pokémon in those parts. Meanwhile, my Pokémon were getting stronger and stronger. I began to lose hope of catching one.
   Finally, I saw another Absol and stuck my tank in front of it. I knew better than to attack it, and I just threw
Poké ball after Poké ball until I caught it. Once I caught it, I discovered why it fainted so easily. It's defense stinks. It's HP stinks. It's attack is stellar. The only thing you really need to work on is it's speed and even then it's pretty decent (in it's defense the game gives it Razor Wind which is a two-turn attack where it attacks on the second turn... if it's still around).
   When I started using it, my opponents kept falling left and right before it. It knew only a few select moves that really worked with it (back in Gen III), but with the overhaul of the original attack system, and making each type physical or special REALLY increased the power of Absol (and other
Pokémon too). Ever since I caught one in Gen III, an Absol immediately has a spot on my team. Always. No matter what. And finding out that it can mega evolve... I peed myself again.
   Even now, as I'm replaying
Pokémon Y and exploring the game a bit better, I have an Absol on my team. It truly is my favorite Pokémon.

==xx==

   Let me know what you guys think. Sorry this one was really long, especially at the end, but I couldn't let my top five be unknown. Especially, not the top two.
   I hope you enjoyed this one, I promise next Tuesday won't be Pokémon-related (even though I already have two more Pokémon-related top tens planned).

No comments:

Post a Comment